YOUR NO 1 WOODWORKING POWER TOOLS RESOURCE WEBSITE
10 Top & Trusted American Power Tool Brands for Woodworkers and DIYers
Disclosure: If you click on some of the links, we may earn a small referral fee. Please know that we only recommend products that we use or believe will add value to our readers.
As woodworkers, we always want the best tool for the job, and when it comes to picking the best tool, we try as much as possible to buy from popular and trusted brands. This is not rocket science given that brands with a strong reputation have happy customers which is an indicator of quality tools.
In this article, we will look at some of the most trusted power tool brands in America and why they are loved by DIYers and professionals.
Related Article: What is the best Power Tool brand For Woodworking (The Battle of Brands)
How Did I Rank These American Power Tool Brands?
First of all, I would like to say that these brands are not listed in a particular order. Depending on your taste and experience, it is totally fine to prefer one brand over the other.
This list is based on years of personal experience, brands I have used, reviews from other woodworkers and the number of customers actively shopping these brands in power tool stores.
While some of these brands design their tools for pros, most of them are perfect for woodworkers and hobbyists.
Dewalt is a commercial tool and equipment company based in Pennsylvania USA. They are known for producing high-quality power tools and hand tools for construction, woodworking, and home crafts all over the world.
Founded in 1924 by Raymond Dewalt, who is also the inventor of the radial arm saw, they have experienced tremendous growth over a short period. As early as 2001, they had already sold over 200 types of hand and power tools and 800 power tool accessories. Today, many have tagged them as the original power tool manufacturer due to their strong reputation.
According to a recent study carried out by Lifestory Research, they identified Dewalt as the most trusted American power tool brand among DIYers looking to purchase a power tool.
With the wide array of power tools within their portfolio, Dewalt is known for their corded and cordless tools such as Flexvolts that comes in 20V, 60V, and 120V; 12V Max Xtreme Sub-Compact Series; 40V Max Outdoor Power Equipment; and 18V Cordless Drills. On top of that, they also known to offer accessories, hand tools, outdoor, gear & storage equipment.
- DEWALT (DCK240C2) 20V Max Cordless Drill Combo Kit: Has a compact and lightweight design to fit into tight areas, as well as an ergonomic handle for comfort and control. This DEWALT cordless drill combo tool kit is ideal of completing a wide range of drilling and driving applications.
- DEWALT 12-Inch Sliding Compound Miter Saw (DWS780): This sliding Compound Miter Saw is driven by a powerful motor for advanced cutting power in a compact, lightweight design. With extended bevel and miter capacities, this compound miter saw powers through dimensional lumber and molding at angles up to 50ۜ degree left and 60 degree right for versatility.
- DEWALT 6-1/2-Inch 20V MAX Circular Saw (DCS391B): This Dewalt cordless Circular Saw has a powerful 5150 RPM motor that delivers power and speed to make the most demanding cuts with ease. The high strength and lightweight magnesium shoe provides job site durability for prolonged cut accuracy.
Shop for more Dewalt Power Tools at:
Being a well-known and trusted producer of heavy-duty power tools and equipment, Milwaukee Tool is one of the top brands that professional handymen and DIYers choose.
The origin of the Milwaukee Tools began in 1918 during World War I when Henry Ford, the founder of Ford Motor Company, was looking for someone who could fabricate a portable power drill. A.H. Petersen took the chance and was able to create what came to be known as the Hole-Shooter. Years later, Petersen met Albert Siebert who became his partner and later on opened the Milwaukee Tools in 1924.
Currently, Milwaukee Tools is a subsidiary of Techtronic Industries Co. Ltd., a leading manufacturer, and marketer of home improvement products founded in 1985.
Related Article: 3 Reliable Japanese Power Tool Brands for Woodworkers and DIYers
Milwaukee is known for its corded and cordless tools for drilling, plumbing, electrical, fastening, and woodworking and it also offers a dependable line of battery-powered tools. What’s also good is their company has created a one-key solution that allows businesses to efficiently maintain and manage all of their battery-powered tools.
- Milwaukee’s Cordless Compact Router,18.0 Voltage: This Cordless Compact Router combines power, speed and accurate depth adjustments to deliver clean accurate cuts in a variety of materials and applications.
- Milwaukee 2719-20 M18 FUEL Hackzall: This is the fastest cutting and most powerful one-handed design reciprocating saw. Utilizing a POWERSTATE Brushless Motor and a best in class 7/8 in. stroke length, the M18 FUEL HACKZALL cuts up to 50% faster than competitors
- Milwaukee 2626-20 M18 Lithium Ion Cordless Orbiting Multi Tool: This Multi-Tool has best-in-class speed and performance and offers you the versatility to complete problematic jobsite applications. It also cuts up to 50% faster and delivers up to 2X more cuts per charge than the competitors.
Shop for more Milwaukee Power Tools at:
Ridgid, with the original brand name Ridge Tool Company, was founded in 1923 in North Ridgeville, Ohio, by Carl Ingwer Sr., who also became their president at that time.
The brand manufactures over 300 types of tools with its main product being, plumbing equipment for the HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) industry.
The brand’s most remarkable tools are its red pipe wrenches. However, they also specialize in power tools that include hammer drills, impact drivers, and saws.
Ridgid is also known for its cordless power tools, bench and stationary tools, pneumatics & compressors, corded power tools, JobMax, and Tile Saws. Specifically, its cordless power tool line consists of combo kits, cordless kits, bare tools, cordless lights, batteries, and chargers.
Check out my Ridgid Power Tools Review Here
Another good thing about Ridgid is that when you register your purchased tools, it gives you the chance to sign up for a Lifetime Service Agreement inclusive of free services, free batteries, and free tool parts. This amazing benefit that Ridgid provides makes it the favorite choice for a lot of woodworkers.
- Ridgid R86011B OCTANE 18V Cordless Impact Wrench: This impact wrench has 4-modes, including a unique auto mode, that help it to stand out from the competition and make it a must have in any workshop. RIDGID OCTANE brushless motors offer up to 50% more runtime and longer motor life.
- Ridgid R8606B GEN5X Cordless Random Orbit Sander: Featuring an innovative motor technology, this sander maintains full speed and power under a heavy load. With a new ergonomic Hex Grip handle, this sander feels better than ever in your hand and runs for over 40 minutes on a 4.0 Ah Lithium-Ion Battery. With a 6-Speed variable speed dial this sander can run from 7,000-11,000 RPM.
- Ridgid R8832B 18V OCTANE Cordless Brushless Jig Saw: This OCTANE Tool features a high performance brushless motor and advanced electronics, providing best-in-class power and intelligence. This tool delivers up to 45% faster cutting in high demand application.
Shop for more Ridgid Power Tools at:
Originally owned and established by Sears, Roebuck, and Co., Craftsman was initially a brand line of workwear, gardening tools, and equipment. These tools were first available through the Sears catalog and in Sears retail stores in 1927.
Following the Sears-Kmart merger, their tools also became available at Kmart stores and through several other retailers. Later on, Craftsman was acquired by Black & Decker.
Included in their power tool line are air compressors, air tools, batteries and chargers, drills, lighting, impact drivers, vacuums, air tools, and many more. You can even see their inventions in the Versa System, which is an exclusive system used for storing and organizing tools.
- Craftsman MAX 20 volt Brushless Cordless Drill/Driver Kit: The CRAFTSMAN V20 drill/driver has a 1/2in. Chuck to fit a variety of drill bits for different applications. The 280 UWO provides the power needed to complete your tasks.
- Craftsman 20V MAX 11/16 in. Cordless Keyless Jig Saw: This CRAFTSMAN 20V max* cordless variable speed Jigsaw delivers precision in a wide range of applications. The three orbital settings adjust cut aggressiveness for getting the desired result in a variety of materials. The lightweight design and comfortable grips helps to reduce user fatigue.
- Craftsman V20 Cordless 20 volt 4-1/2 in. Angle Grinder: The Craftsman Cordless Angle Grinder features a powerful high performance providing you with the grinding power you’ll need on the job. This hand grinder is built with the user in mind providing control and versatility while adding comfort during use.
Shop for more Craftsman Power Tools at:
5. Black & Decker
Perfect for long-time and occasional projects, woodworking, DIY, and home repairs, Black & Decker is a trusted friend of a lot of people because of its durability and efficient power performance that is sure to last for years.
Before it grew into a massive name, Black & Decker was founded by S. Duncan and Alonzo G. Decker in 1910 in a small portable electric drill shop, which was also where the first portable power tool came from. After several years of hard work and excellence, the company was able to expand up to what it is today.
Black & Decker takes pride in its staggering line of products that includes traditional corded power tools and innovative cordless ones. The latter empowers users, specifically homeowners and DIYers to do their projects using their most remarkable power tools, which are cordless portable drills, lithium hammers, grinders, and drivers.
- BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX* Cordless 4-Tool Combo Kit: The ultimate DIY 4-tool cordless combo kit featuring 20V MAX* Lithium Ion drill/driver, circular saw, reciprocating saw and a work light.
- BLACK+DECKER 20-Volt MAX* Lithium-Ion Drill-Driver, LDX120C: Durable and powerful, this 20V MAX* cordless drill features an 11-position clutch to help prevent stripped screws. A compact, lightweight design enables you to work in tight spaces with ease, and an LED illuminates worksurfaces.
- BLACK+DECKER 20-Volt MAX* Drill-Driver And 68-Piece Project Kit: Ideal for a variety of household tasks and projects, this household tool kit features a powerful 20V MAX* Lithium Ion drill and 66 hand tools and accessories. Includes a carrying bag for portability and storage.
Shop for more Black +Decker Power Tools at:
Porter-Cable is one of the leading American companies that has been manufacturing power tools since the 1900s. It was founded by R.E Porter, G.G. Porter, and F.E. Cable in 1905 in Syracuse, New York.
In 1926, they began to develop “Take-About Sander”, a portable electric belt sander and a couple of portable electric power tools, and added them to their product line.
The Porter-Cable brand is a subsidiary of Stanley Black & Decker and is well known for inventing the portable belt sander, helical-drive circular saw, and portable band saw.
Today, Porter-Cable takes pride in providing its clients with several ground-breaking products that highlight its lineup of portable power tools. Ranging from 20V Max Systems to Metalworking Tools to Woodworking Tools, their versatile cordless platform will help you get the job done anytime and anywhere.
- Porter-Cable PCC790LA Cordless Brad Nailer Kit: This Brad Nailer Kit eliminates the need for compressor, hose or costly gas cartridges. The special motor design provides consistent firing power into various materials and climate conditions. This nailer features multiple tool free settings to provide increased productivity and user safety.
- Porter-Cable PCE211 7.5 Amp 1/2″ Impact Wrench: Complete home repair projects, auto maintenance and more using this Porter-Cable Impact Wrench. It fits a wide range of socket sizes to fit around fasteners and features a hog ring anvil for quick and easy changes.
- Porter Cable Max 20V Cordless Reciprocating Saw PCC670B: This Lithium-Ion Reciprocating Tigersaw features a high performance drivetrain that delivers 1″ stroke length up to 3,000 SPM for aggressive cutting speed. The compact design allows tool to reach tight spaces at only 14.5″ in length and the tool free blade release allows for quick and easy blade changes.
Shop for more Porter Cable Power Tools at:
Based in Illinois, United States, Skil is a subsidiary of Chervon, a Chinese-based company. They specialize in providing the perfect portable power tools for DIY consumers.
Skil was founded by a French immigrant named Edmond Michel in 1923. Michel, after thoroughly studying his plans, came up with a vision and was able to fabricate a motor-operated machete using a 150mm saw blade attached to a wooden handle. It was powered by a motor that came from an old malt milk mixer.
In November 2014, SKIL rebranded, making SKILSAW the brand serving the professional construction market and SKIL the brand serving the consumer DIY market.
Today, Skil is known for numerous cordless power tools, with its remarkable tools being the versatile cordless electric sander, cordless circular saw, charger, router, impact driver, orbital sander, and reciprocating saw.
- SKIL Corded Circular Saw with Single Beam Laser Guide, 5280-01: For the more experienced user who needs a powerful circular saw with advanced features the SKIL 5280 7-1/4 inch circular saw is the saw for you. The single-beam laser guides cuts more accurately while the integrated dust blower keeps the line of cut sawdust free.
- SKIL Flooring Saw with 36T Contractor Blade, 3601-02: With the capabilities of a standard miter and table saws, the compact Skil flooring saw model 3601 allows you to cut flooring right where you’re installing. Durable, lightweight and portable, dyers and flooring specialists agree it makes wood floor installation easier and faster.
- SKIL Jobsite Table Saw With Integrated Foldable Stand: This SKIL Jobsite Table Saw has a 25-1/2” (64.77cm) Rip Capacity and is equipped with a 15-Amp motor, integrated foldable legs, rack & pinion fence rails, and a dust port elbow to keep your jobsite clean. The 15-Amp motor quickly rips through hardwoods with ease, while the rack & pinion fence rails make fence adjustments fast, smooth, and accurate.
Shop for more Skil Power Tools at:
Kobalt is an American brand known for its hand, power tools and storage boxes.
In 1998, Kobalt was launched by Lowe’s and its business partner J.H. Williams to rival with competitor brands – Sears, Craftsman, Husky, and The Home Depot.
They started with mechanic’s tools and quickly expanded to include lithium-ion power tools, storage solutions, and a variety of other cutting-edge products. They were initially only available at Lowes, but due to their popularity and low cost, they have now spread to many other retailers, including Walmart and Tractor Supply Co.
Known for its line of portable, cordless power tools that include Combo kits, Impact Wrenches, Batteries, Accessories, power saws, Drills, and Drivers, it is undeniably a great brand if you are a newbie in the construction industry.
Professionals, homeowners, and DIYers also love this brand because it is an excellent option for those who want good quality, and modern design features.
- Kobalt 24V Max Li-ion 1/2-in Cordless Brushless Drill: This Kobalt cordless drill/driver comes with a Brushless, highly-efficient motor delivers 650-in-lbs of torque and provides long-lasting life and run time. It’s 2-speed gearbox allows for drilling and driving at 2 variable-speed ranges (0-550 and 0-2,000-RPM)
- Kobalt 24v max brushless one handed Reciprocating saw: This Kobalt 24V reciprocating saw features a lightweight design that leaves one hand free, making it the ideal tool for a wide range of applications. The brushless motor provides longer life, more power and extended run time. The variable-speed trigger provides 0-3,000-SPM to handle a variety of tasks.
Shop for more Kobalt Power Tools at:
Founded in Massachusetts, USA in the year 1896 by Thomas Briggs, Bostitch was primarily concerned with industrial sewing machines. However, as the company continued to progress, it added power tools for industrial use.
Today, Bostitch has several power tools within their portfolio which are available for professionals and handymen. They range from lithium drill, hex chuck impact driver kit, jigsaw kit, speed hammer drill kit, angle grinder kit, and many more
- BOSTITCH 20V Max Cordless 30 speed Framing Nailer Kit: This 30 degree paper tape cordless framing nailer lets you go cordless with the features you expect in a pneumatic tool. The two-speed motor drives a full range of framing nails and features a tool-free firing mode selector to quickly change between seque. Compatible with Bostitch 20V Max batteries.
Shop for more Bostitch Power Tools at:
Hart Tool Co. was launched in Los Angeles, California in 1983, with only a single product line – framing hammers.
Today their 20V lineup of tools expands across Power Tools, Lawn & Garden, Automotive and Hand Tools to cover all your needs as a DIYer.
If you are looking for an affordable but durable power tool brand, you should go for Hart. With some full kits only costing $80, you can have a complete set of power tools of incredible value – almost close to higher-end brands.
Are Hart power tools worth it? Here is my full review of this brand
- HART 20V Cordless 5-Tool Combo Kit (HPCK512B): If you want to build up your workshop in one shot, this 20V 5-Tool Combo Kit is a great option. Tools include a ½-inch drill/driver, impact driver, a reciprocating saw, an LED work light and a hand vacuum. The drill/driver features a 2-speed gearbox for versatility and control. The impact driver offers high-speed fastening with up to 1,700 in.lbs. of torque. The reciprocating saw cuts through a variety of materials with 0-3000 strokes per minute for greater control. The LED work light helps enhance visibility with a rotating head for hands free use and over 200 lumens of light. HART’s 20V Cordless Hand Vacuum’s powerful suction makes it easy to suck out crumbs from those hard-to-reach areas between cushions or dirt from under car seats.
- HART 20-Volt Cordless Orbital Jigsaw: This HART Jigsaw is ideal for tight curves and precision cutting. The variable speed trigger allows for up to 3,000 SPM (Strokes per minute) giving you ultimate control to help you get the perfect cut every time! With this jigsaw you get the choice of 4 different orbital settings meant for cutting through a variety of materials.
- HART 20-Volt Cordless 6 1/2-inch Circular Saw Kit: This HART Circular Saw is the perfect addition to any DIYers toolbox. This saw features a powerful motor delivering 4700 RPM to make even the most demanding cuts with ease. With the included 24-Tooth, carbide-tipped, thin-kerf blade, this saw makes cuts quickly and easily through a variety of materials.
Shop for more Hart Power Tools at:
Here you go with my list of top American power tool brands.
Which brand is your favorite? What’s your general experience with the brands listed above? Is there an American brand you know that I didn’t list? Drop all your thoughts and suggestions in the comment section below.
If you liked this article then you will love our article on German power tool brands | which is the best for woodworkers?
Enjoy our articles? You can follow us on Pinterest for more woodworking power tools tips and tricks.
Save on selected power tools from top brands - Shop Now on Zoro.
Craftsman is no longer made in America China owns it now and Hart well I just bought a rotary tool with that brand guess where it was made Vietnam and the battery made in China I mean we could factories and we could forge our own steel but but Geneva Steele was sold to Japan we could have auto factories here too but no our government would rather build Chinas economy well we need to just rebuild our factories and tell China and our Government to go sit down and push their pencil around a little more while we the people bring our country back to building our own products