YOUR NO 1 WOODWORKING POWER TOOLS RESOURCE WEBSITE
According to Zion Market Research, the global power tool market is expected to reach 36 Billion USD by 2025.
Global urbanization trend is just one of the factors that have brought about robust sales of power tools. Another contributing factor is the emergence of a do-it-yourself (DIY) culture.
The reason behind this transition can be traced to the popularity of home improvement TV programs. More than ever, people are no longer afraid to take on construction projects that they would have left for professional contractors some years back. As a result, the usage of power tools worldwide has spiked.
The power tool industry is unique and different from other industries. Many of the major players have been bought up by competitors leaving around super empires in the industry.
Despite this shake-up, German made power tools still account for a significant portion of the power tool market.
This article introduces German power tool brands, highlighting what gives them a competitive edge over other brands.
Note: The general rules I have followed to list a brand here are; their headquarters must be in Germany, and the majority of their power tools should be produced in the greater European Union.
I might go into a little history to give you a solid understanding of each brand and how it relates to your woodworking needs.
Related: Take a look at this article on The Best Power Tool Brands For Woodworking
German Power Tool Brands List
It’s no surprise that Bosch tops my list for German power tool brands.
Founded in 1886, Germany under a different name, they adopted the name Bosch in 1937.
Bosch itself is a German electrical engineering company that has a power tool line that accounts for about 25% of its sales.
In 1932, the company developed its first cordless power drill and ever since then, they have grown into a leading force in the power tool industry.
As seen in today’s market, Bosch’s power tool portfolio includes a wide range of corded and cordless power tools for both contractors and DIY professionals.
Finally, it is worth mentioning that, even though they started in Germany, Bosch presently comprises of more than 400 subsidiaries in over 50 countries worldwide.
- BOSCH 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Jig Saw (JSH180B): The Bosch JSH180B Lithium-ion jig saw is compact and lightweight. Its T-shank blade change system allows the user to insert the blade just without the need for any tools, and when it’s time for a blade change, a turn of knob ejects the blade, so there is no need to touch a hot blade.
- Bosch Benchtop Router Table RA1181: This 15 Amp Corded 27 in. x 18 in. Aluminum Top Benchtop Router Table with 2-1/2 in. Vacuum Hose Port is a perfect addition to your workshop. Each router table includes a lightweight yet durable aluminum top and a sturdy ABS plastic base. The vacuum hose port fits standard 2-1/2 in. vacuum hoses for quick and easy clean up.
- BOSCH Combo Kit CLPK22-120 – 12-Volt Cordless Tool Set: This Bosch line of cordless tools uses the industry’s most advanced Lithium-ion technology. This gives the battery greater life and more run time, all in a lighter package.
Shop for more Bosch Power Tools at:
Metabo, founded in Germany in 1924, manufactures way more power tools than you can ever imagine.
Even though their tools cater majorly for professional contractors, some of them still fit into the hobbyist range at moderate prices.
Metabo’s power tool listing contains a full range of products including, impact drills, rotary hammers, demolition hammers, jigsaws, grinders, sanders, planers, and so on.
Today, they are most notable for producing cut-off saws, angle grinders and other heavy-duty cutting equipment.
Despite being founded in Germany, they are the leading pneumatic tool brand in North America.
- Metabo 18.0 V Brushless 3-Speed Hammer Drill/Driver Kit: This tool comes with a Brushless motor for superior efficiency, longer runtime and no maintenance. It also has 3 speed gear box for versatile use, 3, 800 RPM for fast drilling and pilot holes, 2, 050 RPM for common applications, and 600 RPM for high torque needs.
- Metabo – 5″ Variable Speed Angle Grinder: The standard head on this angle grinder is sized for material removal and cutting on surfaces without tight angles and corners. Their rat-tail grip forms a tapered body that’s longer but slimmer than a barrel grip. This allows for better control and a more comfortable hold to reduce fatigue during extended use.
- Metabo 6-Inch Variable Speed Dual Random Orbit Disc Sander: The Metabo 6 in. dual random orbit sander features a 3.4 amp 350 watt motor. This multi-purpose machine was made for sanding & polishing surfaces such as wood, plastics, non-ferrous metals, sheet steel. Also it features a dual orbital setting allow both rotating and oscillating movement of backing pad for optimum finish.
Shop for more Metabo Power Tools at:
Another highly-rated German power tool brand within the woodworking community is FESTOOL.
FESTOOL was founded in 1925 by Albert Fezer and Gottlieb Stoll – Fezer & Stoll leading to the name – FESTOOL.
FESTOOL’S Product breakthrough came in 1927 when they developed the world’s first portable chainsaw. They later became well known for manufacturing not just power tools but also power tool accessories like toolboxes and guide rails.
Although their headquarters is in Germany, they have branches in the Czech Republic and the United States.
Today, their track saws are well known and used by DIYers all over Europe and America.
- FESTOOL HKC 55 Cordless AirStream Track Saw PLUS: The HKC 55 cordless circular track saw in combination with the FSK cutting rail, provides a new miter-saw system for more independence and combines precision and efficiency with a high level of user-friendliness, optimized ergonomics, and ease of use
- FESTOOL CMS-GE Router Table: The CMS or Compact Module System is Festool’s answer to Router Tables, Table Saws, Band Saws, etc. A versatile table that is capable of handling various inserts allowing a multitude of uses and functionality never before seen in the United States. Flexibility and efficiency are key with the CMS where all components are compatible with one another.
Shop for more Festool Power Tools at:
Brands like Bosch and FESTOOL may be household names in Europe, but don’t downplay Japanese brands when it comes to quality and reliability. Here are 3 of the best Japanese power tool brands available out there.
A relatively unknown brand in the world of woodworking, FEIN is another German brand that deserves mention.
FEIN Power Tools started in Germany in 1895 when two brothers Wilhelm and Carl Fein came together to invent the world’s first portable handheld drill.
Apart from inventing the first handheld drill, they have had some other remarkable achievements over the years.
In 1968, with the help of their plaster cast saw, they introduced oscillating technology to the medical industry.
Some years later, they produced their first sanding machine and were the first to connect a sanding machine to dustless extraction vacuums.
Related article: Cyclone dust collection systems (your complete guide)
Today, FEIN’s Dustless Extraction Vacuums are rated top in the industry by leading reviewing journals.
- Fein Turbo I Saw Dust Extractor Collector Wet/Dry Vacuum Set: When dust, dirt, and sawdust starts to get out of hand, the Fein Turbo I Set is there to help. This wet-dry vacuum handles dust and liquid thanks to its high suction capacity. It captures 99% of dust smaller than 2 microns and earns a dust class L approval.
- FEIN 120V 14-In Durable Metal Cutting Chop Saw (MCCS14): This Slugger Metal cutting saw has low speed and high torque to meet your every day demands of durability. The powerful 2200 watt motor is capable of cutting up to 5-1/8 inch material at a 90 degree. 4-1/8 inch round material capacity at a 45 percent. Automatic retracting lower safety guard for all safety standards.
- Fein MultiMaster Start Q in carry bag: The MM 500 offers minimal vibration and outstanding noise dampening which means you can work comfortably, for longer. It has the Fein StarLock mounting system, the long-life e-cut saw blades fit every popular multifunction tool on the market.
Shop for more Fein Power Tools at:
Somewhere in between Austria and Switzerland lies the home of Hilti, another popular power tool manufacturer.
Hilti was formed in the German-speaking state of Liechtenstein.
Yes, I know I said headquarters must be in Germany, but permit me to include them.
Although Hilti’s power tool portfolio includes a wide range of tools, they are well known for their electro-pneumatic rotary hammer drills. They were the first company to introduce the tool in 1967.
Today, their hammer drills are easy to spot in the market, as they come in signature red boxes.
- Hilti 120V Corded SDS-Plus Rotary Hammer Drill: Perfect for drilling into concrete, stone, and masonry using bits up to 1″ in diameter, the Hilti TE 7-C can also do light chiseling on concrete and masonry. Built for long periods of demanding drilling and light chiseling, the ergonomic design and impact power of this rugged rotary hammer drill make it a professional tool
Shop for more Hilti Power Tools at:
In 1926, a German, Andreas Stihl built the very first chainsaw and Stihl power tool was launched that year.
Since then, up until 1970, Stihl was exclusively a chainsaw-producing company, then they began to expand their portfolio to include power tools for homeowners.
Today, Stihl offers a wide range of power tools for hobbyists and homeowners including; drills, edgers, blowers, hedge trimmers, lawnmowers, concrete cutters, and their ever-popular chainsaws.
- STIHL MS 170 Chainsaw: The STIHL MS 170 is the perfect lightweight chainsaw for homeowners seeking great value. Compact and lightweight with just the right amount of power, the MS 170 makes quick work of trimming or cutting small trees, fallen limbs after a storm, and other tasks around the yard.
Shop for more Stihl Power Tools at:
I cannot guarantee that these are all the German Power tool brands out there. If you know a brand I didn’t mention please let me know using the comment section below this article.
If this article made sense to you, take a look at my Ridgid Power Tools Review
Enjoy our articles? You can follow us on Pinterest for more woodworking power tools tips and tricks.
Save on selected power tools from top brands - Shop Now on Zoro.