YOUR NO 1 WOODWORKING POWER TOOLS RESOURCE WEBSITE
As a woodworker, I’m always looking for the best power tools out there. Japanese brands have a reputation for making quality tools, and so I decided to do some research on the best Japanese power tool brands. After much deliberation, I narrowed it down to three brands that I think are the most reliable for woodworkers and DIYers.
In this blog post, I’ll be discussing why these three brands are worth considering, as well as showcasing some of their most popular products.
Top Japanese Power Tool Brands
Just like some other countries, when it comes to power tools, Japan is a powerhouse. Brands like Milwaukee and Dewalt may be household names in the U.S., but don’t downplay Japanese brands when it comes to quality and reliability.
If you’re a woodworker or DIYer looking for a new power tool, you should definitely check out some of these top Japanese brands. Even if you’re already familiar with the big American names, I promise you won’t be disappointed with the quality of these tools.
Read on for my list of three top Japanese power tool brands that are sure to exceed your expectations!
Note: The general rule I have followed to list a brand here is that the brand must have started in Japan.
1. Metabo HPT (Formally Hitachi)
Note: Metabo HPT is not the same as Metabo. They are two distinct brands, despite being owned by the same investment company, KKR.
Hitachi (now Metabo HPT) has a long and rich history, dating back to 1910 when the company was founded as Japan’s first manufacturer of electric motors. Hitachi soon began producing power tools, and by the 1960s had become a leading supplier of portable electric power tools to the global market.
They rebranded since then and had their name changed from Hitachi to Metabo HPT in 2018.
Currently, the Metabo HPT has a wide range of power tools that are perfect for both personal and commercial use. Some of their most popular tools include the drills, table saws, and sanders, Miter Saw and Impact Drill.
The Metabo HPT is a great choice for anyone looking for high quality power tools. Not only are their tools durable and reliable, but they also come with a wide range of features that make them perfect for any application.
- Metabo HPT C10FCGSM Single Bevel 10 in. Corded Compound Miter Saw: This Metabo HPT compound miter saw is ideal for trim carpenters, framers, and woodworkers who demand precision, reliability and versatility on the job. The 15 amp motor generates a no-load speed of up to 5,000 RPM for making crosscuts and miters with ease, even on the toughest cutting jobs.
- Metabo HPT 16-Gal Pneumatic Roofing Nailer, NV45AB2M: One of the best-selling Coil Roofing Nailer (NV45AB2), extremely lightweight, (only 5.5 Lbs.) making it the essential tool for the fast-paced working environment. It features rapid driving and unprecedented quick response with a unique cylinder valve firing mechanism allowing you to fire up to 3 Nails per second.
- Metabo Hpt C3610 36V Multivolt Table Saw: The Metabo HPT brushless full-size jobsite table saw provides the pro, a powerful and innovated solution for the modern jobsite. The MultiVolt table saw is a first of its kind offering the ability to be powered by a 36V MultiVolt battery for flexibility and portability or choose to plug into an AC outlet.
Shop for more Metabo HPT Power Tools at:
Ryobi initially started as a Japanese brand that specializes in making products and equipment that are used for electronics, telecommunication services, automobiles, printing equipment and hardware.
Ryobi was established by Yutaka Urakami in 1943, in Fuchu, Hiroshima, his hometown. In 1968 they expanded into power tools. Since then, Ryobi has taken a large step in growing its market.
Fast forward to today, Ryobi is currently owned by Techtronic Industries, the same company that owns Milwaukee Tools. Even though the latter is designed for professional use, Ryobi products fit the needs of DIYers better.
Ryobi’s line of power tools features over 225 different types of innovative tools designed for plumbing, fastening, drilling, cutting, trimming, edging, and many more.
- Ryobi 18V ONE+ 18 Gauge Cordless Brad Nailer Kit: The RYOBI P320 AirStrike Brad Nailer drives 18-Gauge nails from 5/8 in. to 2 in. long. Best of all, it is part of the RYOBI ONE+ System of over 260 cordless tools that all work on the same battery platform.
- Ryobi Tools P505 18V ONE+ 5-1/2″ Cordless Circular Saw: This saw is equipped with GRIPZONE overmold for optimum grip and comfort and has a 50° bevel cut capacity. The 5-1/2 in. blade provides a 1-9/16 in. depth of cut.
- Ryobi P519 18V ONE+ Lithium-ion Cordless Reciprocating Saw: This saw delivers better productivity with up to 3,400 SPM and 60% faster cutting. An easy blade change lever and a lock-off button make this saw a must have for any DIY or professional job. It features a 1″ stroke length and adjustable, pivoting shoe to provide greater depth control and more efficient use of the blade.
Shop for more Ryobi Power Tools at:
Check out my complete review of the Makita power tool brand here
Although sold in many parts of USA, Makita originally came from Nagoya, Japan.
Makita, which was before known as Makita Electric Works, was founded in 1915 by Mosaburo Makita.
He began retailing lighting equipment and transformers while also repairing them. The first product in his business was an electric hand planer. As years passed, Makita evolved its product line by adding portable power tools, which later on they exported globally.
Today Makita Power tools can be found in several locations including France, the United Kingdom, Australia, Canada, USA, Switzerland, Russia, China, Thailand, Hong Kong, and many other countries.
Makita’s power tool collection consists of sanders, hammers, routers, cutting saws, angle grinders, impact drivers, and many others which are all power tools designed for carpentry and woodworking. Among all these, Makita highlights its cordless tool choices featuring the 18V single voltage power tools.
- Makita 18V LXT Li-Ion Brushless Cordless Impact Driver Kit (XDT131): This Makita Impact Driver Kit (XDT131) delivers maximum versatility and performance, with an efficient Makita BL Brushless Motor for up to 50% longer run time, increased power and speed, and longer tool life.
- Makita XMT03Z Cordless Oscillating Tool (LXT Series): This Makita Cordless Multi-Tool delivers corded speed and power without the cord. It is engineered with additional features like reduced vibration and low noise for improved performance and is ideal for cutting, sanding, scraping, grout removal and more. Great for wood flooring, plaster, PVC and more.
- Makita XAG04Z 18V LXT Brushless Cordless Cut-Off/Angle Grinder: Makita delivers corded grinding performance without the cord with the 18V LXT Lithium-Ion 4-1/2″ / 5” Cut-Off/Angle Grinder. It’s powered by a Makita brushless motor for longer run time, increased power and speed, and longer tool life.
Shop for more Makita Power Tools at:
So there you have it, three of the best power tool brands from Japan. Have you used any of them before? Let me know in the comments below. And if you’re looking for a little more information on German brands, be sure to check out my other posts on the top German tool brands for DIYers
Enjoy our articles? You can follow us on Pinterest for more woodworking power tools tips and tricks.
Save on selected power tools from top brands - Shop Now on Zoro.